|Download the Job Interview ESL lesson plan here: Job-Interview-ESL-Advanced-06022012.doc|
Job Interview ESL Lesson Plan: Advanced
Job Interview ESL Lesson Plan: Warm-up (Pair Work)
Job Interviewing – Key Vocabulary in Context
People go to great lengths to get hired. Many embellish their qualifications and CV. This behavior may be supported by the belief that getting a job is harder than actually carrying it out. (299 words)
Job Interview ESL Lesson Plan: Follow-Up Questions
Job Interview ESL Lesson Plan: Vocabulary Matching
- overhead(s) – a company's operating costs
- redundant – unneeded because there is no more work
- blab – tell sb information that should be kept secret
- shortcoming – a default or fault in character
- virtually – almost or very nearly
- remuneration – pay; earnings
- fringe benefits – an added benefit you get from an employer; perk
- elicit – get information (or a reaction) from sb
- competence – ability
- call sb out (phr. verb) – challenge sb to a fight
- factful – careful not to say anything tha twill upset others
- embellish – make sth more interesting by adding false details
Job Interview ESL Lesson Plan: Connect the below idea(s) to make a sentence.
government / uprising
overhead / fringe benefits
redundant / left right and center
|blab / shortcomings|
|virtually impossible / employed|
remuneration / confidential
|elicit / laughter|
|embellish / achievements|
|call out / wife|
|great lengths / tactful|
Job Interview ESL Lesson Plan: Difficult Interview Questions
– How long would you stay in the position?
– What is your weakness?
– Describe a time when you failed.
– Why are you leaving your present job?
Job Interview ESL Lesson Plan: Job Interview Role-Play (Pair Work)
Project Manager, IBM
Duties: Manage projects on time and on budget. Responsible for risk management, project tracking & contingency planning.
Required: Bachelors degree, experience in project mgmt, and expertise in MS Office. Must have excellent leadership & interpersonal skills.
English Instructor, ABC Learning.
Duties: Conducting group & private classes in businesses
Requirements: university degree in related field, fluency in English, and teaching experience.
Must be: well-organized, energetic, professional, and legally qualified to work. Pay commensurate with experience.
Head Chef, Antonio’s
Duties: delivery of food services
Requirements: Certificate III in Hospitality or similar, and exp. with food prep. and delivery.
Must be: able to work autonomously, well-organized, & knowledgeable about food safety. Pay commensurate with experience.
(note: each student reads his/her role only)
|You will be interviewed. This is a role-play so you may pretend to have the appropriate background for the position. Take a minute to prepare. Soon, the interview still start.|
|Decide how you want to structure the interview and what questions to ask (optional: include an inappropriate question). Also, try to think of a scenario related to the job and ask the interviewee how he/she’d behave in that situation. Take a few minutes to prepare. When ready, begin the interview.|
Job Interview Writing Homework (optional)
Job Interview ESL Lesson Plan: Discussion Questions
Job Interview ESL Lesson plan copyright Matthew Barton of Englishcurrent.com