Lesson Topic: A review of 2022 and its top news stories
Skill Focus: Speaking, Reading, Vocabulary, Grammar (Past Perfect)
Approximate Class Time: 2 hours
Lesson Plan Download: 2022-news-review-upper-intermediate-012023.docx
- As a warm-up, students brainstorm a list of the top local, national, and international news stories of 2022.
- The reading passage presents 13 major news items from 2022. As students read, they also fill in the clozes (blanks) to match the news items.
- Post-reading activities include a review of past perfect, two role-play scenarios and a presentation on tips for fighting inflation.
- All lessons come with warm-up questions and discussion questions. This lesson also includes two extra activities on page four.
UPPER-INTERMEDIATE 2022 News Review Lesson Plan (EFL)
Warm-up Questions (Pair Work)
- How was 2022 for you? What were the high and low points? Did you accomplish your goals?
- Do you have a New Year’s resolution for 2023?
- How is New Year celebrated in your culture?
2022 ESL News Lesson Plan: Brainstorm (Group Work)
In pairs or groups, make a list of the major events of 2022. Include local, national, and international news. When finished, present your list of news items to the class and discuss them as a group.
Membership is required to view this post. Please support EnglishCurrent by becoming a member today. Members, please log in.
-- Lesson plan about 2022 News by Matthew Barton of EnglishCurrent.com (copyright). Site members may photocopy and edit the file for their classes. Permission is not given to rebrand the lesson, redistribute it on another platform, or sell it as part of commercial course curriculum. For questions, contact the author.
Article answers: Ukraine, Yangtze, Boris Johnson, Pakistan, Charles III, Iran, Xi Jinping, eight, China, Argentina
Vocabulary Answers: 1-b, 2-h, 3-a, 4-k, 5-j, 6-i, 7-g, 8-f, 9-e, 10-d, 11-c