Business English: Describing Chart Trends in English
English Focus: Using Past Simple and Present Perfect to describe chart trends.
Student Level: Pre-Intermediate
ESL Worksheet Download: Describing-Charts-Present-Perfect.doc
|Web Version of ESL Worksheet:|
Sales (have) increased.
(use have (pres. perfect) when the trend continues to the present.)
(use past simple for trends that don't continue to the present).
Sales (have) increased by [25% / $5,000].
Sales have increased by 25% since 1995.
(use present perfect and since [+ time] for trends continuing from the past to the present.)
Sales increased from $150,000 in 1995 to $250,000 in 2010. (past simple)
Sales have increased from $150,000 in 1995 to $300,000 this year.
Make sentences based on the following chart:
· Sales in Europe from 2005 to 2010.
· Sales in Asia by from 1995 to 2005.
· Sales in Africa since 1995.
· Sales in Europe from in 2000 to this year.
Make your own sentences:
· My country’s population ..
· The number of in my city ..
– ESL worksheet created by Matthew Barton of Englishcurrent.com