Community Forums on English Current

Notifications
Clear all

Exercise tactfull diplomatic emails  

RSS

(@omahrez)
16/05/2020 7:42 am  

Hello, hope you are well?

I would like to have the correction of this exercise, in order to compare my answers.
Thank you for giving me your answers.

https://www.englishcurrent.com/writing/tactful-diplomatic-emails-examples/

(@omahrez)
16/05/2020 8:45 am  

Up please.

Can you help me for situations 1 and 2.

Thanks 🙂 

ReplyQuote
mb
 mb
(@mb)
Member Admin
16/05/2020 11:02 am  

Hello. Here are some samples:

Situation #1: You are a department manager. You have a new employee name Rene LeBlanc. You’ve noticed that Rene has been spending a lot of time at the office doing personal things (talking to his wife on the phone for long periods of time, checking his personal emails, etc.). Also, he has left work early a few times. Write a diplomatic e-mail message to Rene about these issues.

Dear Rene,

I hope you have had a good weekend. This week will be another busy one as we have to get all the orders processed on time for the holiday season. 

To this end, please try to conduct any personal business (non-emergency phone calls, e-mails) outside of work time, e.g. during your breaks or the lunch hour. This is a policy that I ask the whole department to follow in order to minimize distraction and maintain productivity. Also it's important that all staff work until the official end of day (5 p.m.) as when we leave early, we place an undue burden on our colleagues who must stay to complete the unfinished business of the day.

Naturally, if there are any emergency situations that you need some time off for, please drop by my office to discuss it beforehand. My door is always open!

Thank you for your cooperation.

Matthew

Situation #2: You are the manager at an ESL school in Toronto. You have been employing a teacher, Lilly Brown, on a contract basis for the past year. However, you have decided not to renew Lilly’s contract for the next session. Lilly was often late for class, and her students said that she spoke too much in class (instead of letting them speak). Write a diplomatic e-mail to Lilly and inform her of the news. Give constructive criticism.

Dear Lilly,

I hope you've been enjoying your break time. 

As you know, the ESL industry is subject to the demands of student enrolment, which can vary session to session. Student satisfaction is a key metric in determining student enrolment, and ultimately the success of the college. In the feedback from your students, unfortunately I did find some recurring themes, particularly teacher-talk time and punctuality. As we discussed during our faculty meeting, we ask that our instructors play more of a moderator role in the classroom instead of that of a lecturer so that students have adequate time to participate and practice their language skills. We market our courses as student-centered, and therefore, it's important that students feel they are the focus of the lessons. Unfortunately there were several comments from both of your classes indicating students did not feel they had adequate talk-time during class.

Also, punctuality is an important issue here at the college. Instructors do not only teach language, but also the standards and customs people must follow to have success in the Canadian workplace. You were late several times this session, which sets a poor example.

As a result, at this point in time we will not be able to offer you a class for next session. We hope that you can see this feedback as an opportunity for improvement. We have definitely enjoyed having you on board, and in your feedback, there were plenty of positive comments. Students particularly enjoyed the enthusiasm you brought to the classroom and your knowledge of local events and attractions. 

Thank you for your efforts in the last session. We at ABC College wish you all the best in your teaching pursuits.

Regards,

Matthew

ReplyQuote
(@omahrez)
17/05/2020 5:33 am  

👍

ReplyQuote
Share:

English Current recommends Grammarly as a learning tool to reduce English mistakes. If you found this page helpful, consider a donation to our hosting bill to show your support!