Community Forums on English Current

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] What's the difference between two sentences below?  

RSS

(@hitasakiisahaya-jrc-or-jp)
03/05/2020 10:17 pm  

She developed dizziness and shortness of breath while walking around 1-kilometer distance.

She developed dizziness and shortness of breath when walking around 1-kilometer distance.

Topic Tags
mb
 mb
(@mb)
Member Admin
04/05/2020 12:06 am  

Hello. Thanks for posting!

In short, with your example, there is no real difference. Quite often there isn't a difference between these words. However, sometimes when we want to emphasize that an action was in progress at a specific time, we use while + a progressive tense ( = While I was eating, …). For more details, see this page:  https://www.englishcurrent.com/grammar/difference-while-when-conjunctions/

ReplyQuote
04/05/2020 12:20 am  

Thank you for your reply.

If I want to say, 'She developed dizziness and shortness of breath when/while walking at the point of around 1-kilometer distance away from the point of starting',

I'm wondering which is better.  

ReplyQuote
mb
 mb
(@mb)
Member Admin
07/05/2020 9:23 am  

Hello. Sorry for the late reply on this one.

In your example, I would say this: "She developed dizziness and shortness of breath after walking around 1 kilometer from her point of departure"

ReplyQuote
07/05/2020 2:55 pm  

Thank you for your reply.

ReplyQuote
Share:

English Current recommends Grammarly as a learning tool to reduce English mistakes. If you found this page helpful, consider a donation to our hosting bill to show your support!