Notifications
Clear all

Past Perfect or Past simple  

RSS

(@emanmagdoub)
23/06/2020 5:07 am  

Hi English Professionals,

Could you please help me with conjugating the following verbs:

Yesterday Kevin (get ) an email from Sally. He (be)  very surprised. He (sent)lots of emails, but she(reply)

I believe it should be as follows:

Yesterday Kevin got an email from Sally. He was very surprised. He had sent her lots of emails but she didn't reply

I'm really confused about how to conjugate the last verb,(reply). Should it be in the past perfect or past simple?

I'd really appreciate your help with this. Please mention the correct conjugation explaining why.

Thank you in advance.

Eman Magdoub

mb
 mb
(@mb)
Member Admin
23/06/2020 9:43 am  

Hello. It is a little tricky, I admit. I wouldn't use past simple for the last verb. Instead, I'd use past perfect. The main reason is that Sally's not replying happened over a period of time. For example, you had sent her e-mails every week for the past 2 months. She just replied today, which means that she had not replied (past perfect) for over two months. 

That's my answer as an English teacher. If you use past simple, is it correct? I'd say it still works, and no one would correct you.

ReplyQuote
(@emanmagdoub)
24/06/2020 12:35 am  

@mb Thanks a lot :)

ReplyQuote
Share:

English Current recommends Grammarly as a learning tool to reduce English mistakes. If you found this page helpful, consider a donation to our hosting bill to show your support!