Lesson Topics: beauty trends, plastic surgery, body dysmorphia, self-esteem
Skill Focus: Speaking, Reading, Listening, Vocabulary
Approximate Class Time: 1.75 hours
Lesson Plan Download: body-image-lesson-upper-intermediate-032023.docx
- After a short warm-up, a reading passage introduces three different medical trends related to body image. The passage ends with a description of some terminology related to disorders.
- Post-reading activities include two role-plays related to body image, two debates (one about genome sequencing and the other about advertisements), and a few quotations.
- All lessons come with warm-up questions, vocabulary questions, and discussion questions.
UPPER-INTERMEDIATE (B2) ESL Lesson Plan on Body Image
Warm-up Questions (Pair Work)
- Do you spend a lot of time on your appearance?
- What do you do to stay fit and maintain your appearance?
- What are some unusual beauty treatments (medical or cosmetic) that people get?
-- EFL Lesson plan on body image written by Matthew Barton of EnglishCurrent.com (copyright). The sketch from the second debate was generated by DALL-E-2. Site members may photocopy and edit the file for their classes. Permission is not given to rebrand the lesson, redistribute it on another platform, or sell it as part of commercial course curriculum. For questions, contact the author.
- It means that his insecurity was slowly causing him to become more and more unwell, or even, incomplete.
- True: The physician says it can lead to death.
- The quotation marks indicate that the issues may not in fact be real but likely only in the mind of the sufferer.
- (Answers vary)
- Getting elf ears would be the cheapest (assuming there are no complications)
- The quotation marks indicate that the flaws are not in fact real but likely only in the mind of the sufferer.
Vocabulary answers: 1-i, 2-a, 3-b, 4-h, 5-j, 6-g, 7-f, 8-c, 9-L, 10-d, 11-e, 12-k
-  https://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/what-s-driving-limb-lengthening-surgery-a-radical-procedure-making-men-taller-1.6276603
-  https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/05/the-financial-perks-of-being-tall/393518/
-  https://www.vice.com/en/article/qj83bw/elf-ears-trend-china-plastic-surgery
-  https://nationalpost.com/health/how-ozempic-works
-  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/body-dysmorphic-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20353938
-  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eating-disorders/symptoms-causes/syc-20353603