Study English Articles (A, An, The) Online with These Exercises
ESL Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced (click to jump to questions)
Articles Worksheet Download: Articles-Worksheet-Englishcurrent.doc (with answers)
Instructions: Put the correct article (a, an, the, or nothing) into the paragraphs below. If an article is not needed, then select the blank option.
Students, if you'd like to study the rules of English articles, then please read my explanation for beginner students.
Articles: Exercises for Beginner Students
(Remember, if no article is needed, then select the blank option).
- My mother is English teacher. I am student. When I get home from school, I watch programs on TV. That's best part of my day. I watch are for children. I am child, so I think they are funny.
- I'm little excited because it's Friday. There are lot of good shows on TV today. I usually watch is at 3:30. It's about animals. Also, I'm excited today because my mother is making rice for dinner.
- Later, after eating dinner and doing my homework, I go to my room and read book for 30 minutes. Then I turn off light and go to bed.
Articles: Exercises for Intermediate Students
- Moving to United States was most exciting thing I have ever done. I moved last year to New York. New York is exciting city, full of adventure. In fact, I saw famous actor on street yesterday!
- Today, I have job interview at financial company. has offices all over world. I'm not sure that I have skills to get hired. I hope so. 's office is on Main Street. That's same street my friend works on.
- If I get hired, I could meet him after work for drinks. That would be great. He's from Scotland. He works 8 hours day, 5 days week.
Articles: More Exercises for Intermediate Students
- I have two brothers. One, Greg, is still in college, and other, Mike, has already graduated. Mike is kind of guy that is very serious. I don't remember last time I saw him. It may have been in August. He was wearing red sweater. It matched his red hair.
- After dinner, I usually wash dishes. My wife hates doing it. I waste a lot of water when I do it. That's bad for environment, I think.
- We live near sea. houses in this area are expensive.
Articles: Exercises for Advanced Students
- I have uncle who lives in home for elderly. He is honest man. He used to be FBI agent. He once saved one-year-old boy from fire. He has many interesting stories.
- He told me that he once met alien from space. This alien didn't need oxygen to live; it didn't have nose. That's hard story to believe. I'm not sure he was telling me truth. Maybe he isn't so honest, after all.
- can make life unpleasant. In day, I work at office. people I work with are busy, and work we do isn't easy.
Articles: More Exercises for Advanced Students
- When I drive to work, usually highways are really busy. If there's accident during rush hour, it can be chaos on the roads.
- I don't watch TV. I get information and news, etc., from Internet. I don't often go to cinema, either.
- I'm interested in finance. I heard Euro is losing value, compared to US dollar.
- I like Japan. is infrequent there. When I fly to Japan, I usually fly to Narita Airport. The last time I was in Japan, I climbed Mount Fuji. It was fun.
- I am tall. are generally shorter than I am.
- Help Understanding Articles (Beginner)
- The Indefinite Article & Word Sounds (Advanced)
- The Definite Article with Names of Places (Advanced)
- Articles exercises and worksheet copyright Matthew Barton of Englishcurrent.com
Articles exercises are very good for improve my English,and computer lab is excellent for us.
Thank you Iris!!
I really enjoy your class!!
thanks a lot.
it is very helpful.
I need more practice.
Your exercises are very helpful in a way of giving more understading of its correct usage. I enjoy doing it can help for those not only the young ones but also for the elderly like me. Who wants to exercise ones brain whether I still know how to give the correct answers. For youngsters more practise makes perfect. You are all very generous of taking much work and pain in order to give knowledge and know how to us and unto others. Good health and more power to you all
thank you very much…………
it’s very good
Good work sheeet
Very good Job! I have really enjoyed my self going through the beginner’s to advanced levels in English articles. You have touched important aspects of articles that usually confuse English learners like me! I have found your exercises very useful because in the two weeks I have been reading intensively to get the concept of articles. Thanks indeed!
It is very interesting and very useful.This site is very useful to english learners.thank u
I think if he add the situation when we use an/a will be better.Therefore,children will be more clear.
THIS WORKSHEET WAS SO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !!
Wow! I like it, it is interesting and I need more practice.
Its a good excercise. All the sentences are simple and easy to understand.
it was excellent ,it gave me an oppurtunity to improve myself thanks
this is torture for us school students…. itz another excuse for more work even though english is my first language. :(
It's a very nice exercise :) It is useful :) Thanks !
Nice, but should need explanation for the answers
yes!!!!!! its true but liked this worksheet…
amazing worksheet……….enjoyed and learnt a lot!!!!!!
i liked this worksheet…earlier i had to face many problems in filling up these answers but now i’m improving through these exercises….thanks for this brilliant worksheet!!!!!!!!!!
very helpful worksheet….keeep posting more
I love them keep posting more.thanks for the worksheets……
very very nice for doing practice of articles
its very helpful..I have made 2 mistakes. thanks……
Good For Practice!!!
nice exercise i like it
the exercises are very helpful. tnx…
Stop complaining! It was good and i enjoyed.
thank you for exercise it can help me learn
Its very simple if we take care of the rules very carefully .
Tks a lot. Its really helpful. I really appreciate the effort to make different sections according to the level of different people. Waiting 4 more.
I just can’t get it. Why we write “New York is an exciting city” not “New York is the exciting city”? please explain it to me, thank you!
Henry: There are many exciting cities in the world. When you write ‘NY is an exciting city’, it means it is one (an = one) exciting city among the many other exciting cities in the world. ‘NY is the exciting city’ uses the definite article ‘the’, which means that there is ONLY one exciting city, New York. If you want to use ‘the’, then you could say ‘New York is the home of the Statue of Liberty’. We use ‘the’ here because there is ONLY one city that has the statue of liberty. The city is New York.
I’m not sure I understand. Can you explain again?
Its very good but explanation should be given at the end
best way to improve grammar….
thanks a lot
it ll be better if u provide explanation to every answer.
articles are easy to learn
Mr. Arun is saying right it should not show answers it should tell how many are correct
A really good exercise for the articles .. Love it <3
I love it i got all correct its really cool it helps us in improving our article skills i really want to thank the person who made it i am in 4th this is for my exams skchec
This topic is like mystery about grammar.We should practice this a lot
Its the best site of grammar but there should more excercise in this type
Everbody will like the site..
Very good but there should be more exercises
Nice worksheets to practise nice website
its a good app for children to learn articles and for starting ones. happy learnning!!!!!!!!!!
its a good app for children to learn articles and for starting ones. happy learnning!!!!!!!!!!
No answers in same/under the exercise page it should be on next page
59 out of 60 in exam thank uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
I like this kind of quizzes
This worksheet is really good. I enjoyed a lot. Improved me in articles.
is there any exercise for punctuation
HELLO TEACHER AS THAT HOW ARE YOU GOD BLESS GRANTEMENTE APOLOGY WAS SAYING WHERE TO PUBLISH REVIEW
This topic is very interesting. Excercises make students find correct way.
This exercise helped me so much for my exam!!! :D
This exercises help me a lot.
Which ones? Remember, if the answer is “–” that means no idiom is needed.
yes completelyh agree with this and its very knowledgeable thing
yes I am ompeletly agree
a very good worksheet
nishnath u r awesome…excellent observation regarding the worksheet…now that you have certified that the worksheets are good..i’d definitely do it
i agree with mr arun one should have self control to not watch answers :P
good ,but you should not give the answers.
it should be better if you had given the option of see results
it would help children to know whether how much is there capability
IT IS A VERY COOL AND A VERY GOOD APP FOR STUDENTS TO LEARN AND
TO GET KNOWLEDGE
I like the worksheet as this helped me a lot for my paper
very good exercise I like it.
Hello this was very insane man. I love it lol
i enjoy doing this worksheets.
Nice exercise!!! Very helpful!!!
exellent exercises but the problem is that anyone can cheat ….
and is very helpful too …………
nice exercises it hels me in my ut i always use this side for my revision
What’s up it’s me, I am also visiting this website on a regular
basis, this web site is truly nice and the visitors are truly sharing nice thoughts.
very vvvv…………………………awesome worksheet
now my articles in perfect for my exams \
i will reccomend this web site to my friends
thats awesome exercis thank u every much
I love the article exercise as they are sometimes confusing and the answers are given.They are very useful while studying for them.
I would like to thank you for your website too.
nice exercise for children
good nice explanation
thanks this helped me because my mother wanted an exercise and so she asked me to program it as an challenge I made this again on python and it was fun
good for my studies I love it
I am a teacher of English from Pakistan. During my teaching career , as a teacher of English, so far, teaching an article has proved to be the trickiest and the toughest of the all. i have seen this for the first time and that too accidently. I hope that these exercises and work sheets can be further enhanced and ameliorated if some of the rules regarding “Use of Article” are added. by and large, it is a fantastic work and very useful to those who really tend to learn.
Hello jamshaid. I’m glad to hear that you find the resource useful. If you’d like to see some of the rules, please visit this page: https://www.englishcurrent.com/grammar/english-articles-definite-indefinite-help/ .