Please find below a list of argumentative essay topics with a business focus. These topics were used for a college course in Vancouver, Canada, so they are particularly relevant to the Canadian context. Feel free to change 'Canada' in the questions to your particular region.
Note for students: If your teacher has asked you to develop a topic or research question for an argumentative essay, the best topic you can find is one that you come up with. Instead of copying a topic below, creating your own topic related to something you are actually interested in will enable you to enjoy and learn more from your assignment. Regardless, here is a list of research questions for argumentative essays that you can use for inspiration.
Jump to a topic category:
- Advertising & Marketing
- Business Ideas & Entrepreneurship
- Careers & the Workplace
- Health & Food
- Employee Pay & Benefits
- Environment & Ethics
- Foreign Issues
- Human Resources & Hiring
- Investing & Personal Finance
- Law & Legalization
- Real Estate
- Shopping & Consumption
- Travel & Tourism
- Workplace Productivity
List of Argumentative Essay Topics
Advertising & Marketing Topics
- Should advertisers be allowed to market their products to children?
- Should subliminal messages be allowed in company advertising?
- Is advertising on Youtube an effective/beneficial method to promote products?
- Should companies hire influencers to promote their products?
- Should companies adopt a product-orientation?
- Should companies adopt a market-orientation?
- Does marketing have an overall harmful effect on society?
- Should the advertisement of junk food be banned?
- Is telemarketing dead?
- Should companies use celebrities to endorse their products?
- Is direct-mail marketing still worthwhile in 2021?
- Should Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) be illegal?
- Should vaping advertisements be banned in Canada?
- Are loyalty programs still an effective strategy in 2021?
- Do coupon marketing strategies increase brand/product value?
- Should Canadian companies participate in Black Friday?
- Can a strong market monopoly be broken through a successful marketing approach?
- The Pink Tax: Do health and beauty companies unfairly target female consumers with higher prices?
- Should brands use storytelling to promote their products?
- Comparative advertisement is legal but is it also ethical?
- Will YouTube's (aggressive) advertising model drive away users?
Business Ideas & Entrepreneurship Topics
- Will Bricks-and-Mortar shopping (in physical scores) survive?
- Are supermarkets killing local businesses?
- Should companies get involved in charity work?
- Is becoming a franchisee a good business opportunity?
- Is Canada a good place to start a business?
- Would creating a language school in Vancouver be lucrative?
- Are chatbots effective customer service tools?
- Does outsourcing improve the effectiveness of businesses?
Careers & the Workplace Topics
- Should people pursue a degree in accounting?
- Is being a photographer a viable career?
- Should younger generations (or young people) consider video gaming as a career?
- Can social media influencer be considered a full-time job? / Should young people consider this as a possible career?
- Should companies/countries adopt a four-day workweek?
- Should regular employees be involved in the corporate decision-making process?
- Does shift-work have a negative impact on employee health?
- Is lifetime employment a thing of the past? / Should workers stay loyal to one company?
- Should leaders adopt a democratic leadership style?
- Should leaders adopt an authoritative leadership style?
- Should companies have dress codes? / Are strict dress code policies beneficial to companies?
- Should companies allow their employees to bring pets to work?
- Is the mental health of employees the responsibility of companies?
- Is leadership a learned trait?
- Is overtime counterproductive?
- Should companies provide benefits to gig workers?
- Should companies allow employees to listen to music during work?
- Is introversion a negative trait in the workplace?
- Can the taxi cab industry survive the advent of ride-hailing apps?
- Is hosting the Olympics a waste of money?
- Should the minimum wage be increased?
- Should [Canada] provide a living wage to workers?
- Should Canada adopt a Universal Basic Income (UBI)?
- Was the demonetization in India a success or failure?
- Should government privatize public services? / Does the privatization of public services improve cost-effectiveness?
- Should the [Canadian] government privatize healthcare?
- Does the 'gig economy' exploit workers?
- Is worker exploitation necessary in order to maximize profits?
- Should workers in the public sector be allowed to unionize/go on strike?
- Has globalization hurt or helped developing countries?
- Should the Bank of Canada increase interest rates?
- Should the WTO or other trade organizations be able to issue binding orders?
- Should government regulate monopolies?
- Should government provide free healthcare to citizens?
- Does brain-drain negatively affect the economy of India?
- Should government regulate the BC housing market?
- Are Multi-National corporations (MNCs) really beneficial to the host economy?
- Should government create policies to manage population?
- Should Canada invest more in its agriculture industry?
- Is China engaging in debt-trap colonialism?
- Is China's investment beneficial to Africa?
- Will China become the new world leader?
- Was BrExit a good decision for Britain?
- Is a university degree needed for business success? / Does having an undergraduate degree guarantee a successful career?
- Should business schools focus on theoretical knowledge instead of practical skills?
- Are international student fees unfair to foreign students? / Are Canadian international students being exploited?
- Should young people pursue an online degree?
- Should Canadian colleges charge less for online programs? / Should tuition be lower for online learning programs?
- Should young adults do an internship as part of their education?
- Should unpaid Internships be legal?
- Should financial literacy courses be part of the national education system?
- Is studying abroad beneficial for a student's host country (or home country)?
Employee Pay & Benefits Topics
- Is the current basic requirement for weekly vacation in Canada adequate?
- In general, are CEOs overpaid?
- Are financial incentives the best way to motivate employees?
- Should college athletes get paid for their games?
- Should male employees be allowed paternity leave?
- Should companies provide childcare services for employees?
- Does the gender pay gap exist in the Canadian/North American workplace?
- Is a performance-based pay system a good motivator for employees?
- Does making more money make people happier?
Environment & Ethics Topics
- Should fracking be banned?
- Are CSR campaigns genuine or greenwashing?
- Is the hospitality industry sustainable enough?
- Should small companies pursue CSR?
- Should companies implement hiring quotas to ensure workplace diversity?
- Should organic food companies support fair trade policies?
- Should cosmetic companies be allowed to test their products on animals?
- Should government implement a carbon tax on polluters?
- Can renewable energies replace fossil fuels?
- Should government be able to censor Internet content?
- Should the Canadian seal hunt be banned? (ALT: Japanese whaling)
- Should the use of pesticides in agriculture be banned?
- Is the global coffee industry doomed?
- Should India adopt organic farming practices?
- Should designer brands start using vegan materials?
- Is Zara taking adequate measures to combat climate change?
- Should consumers support fast fashion?
Foreign Issues Topics
(*Replace [Canada] with your country of choice)
- Are immigrants worth the investment for [Canada]? / Do immigrants have a positive impact on the [Canadian] economy?
- Should [Canada] accept more refugees?
- Should international students on a study visa be allowed to work full-time?
- Should [Canada] accept more immigrants?
- Should Americans be required to have a visa to enter the Philippines?
- Does immigration in Canada increase crime?
Health & Food
- Will insect-based protein products replace traditional forms of protein?
- Is the food industry responsible for the problem of food waste?
- Is organic food worth the extra cost?
- Is the food industry to blame for the high obesity rate in the US?
Human Resources & Hiring Topics
- Should companies seek to hire employees internally?
- Should countries/companies enforce a mandatory retirement age?
- Should companies only hire experienced applicants? / Should companies hire university graduates with no work experience?
- Do dress code policies benefit companies?
- Should companies have policies to regulate workplace romance?
- Should workplaces conduct drug-testing?
- Is experience the most important factor for HR when promoting an employee?
- Can nepotism in the workplace be justified?
- Is money the most important factor when choosing a job?
- Is remote recruitment effective? / Should businesses shift to remote recruitment?
- Are virtual job interviews effective?
- Should companies look at social media profiles of candidates when hiring?
- Should companies hire people with criminal records?
- Are work references a reliable tool in the hiring process?
- Is equal employment opportunity balance possible to achieve?
- Are good working conditions the most important factor when looking for a job?
Investing & Personal Finance Topics
- Is cryptocurrency/Bitcoin a good investment?
- Should people invest their own money or use a financial adviser?
- Should young people focus on passive investing?
- Should the Canadian government support/adopt cryptocurrencies?
- Is the stock market rigged?
- Is donating to charities effective? / Do charities make effective use of donations?
- Are credit cards a debt trap? / Should young people get a credit card?
- Is a car a good investment for people in cities?
- Should people purchase life insurance?
- Should short-selling be made illegal?
- Is payment for order flow an unfair business model for online brokerages?
Law & Legalization Topics
- Should government legalize psychedelic drugs?
- Should the sale of tobacco products be illegal?
- Should lotteries be banned? / Do lotteries unfairly target the poor?
- Should government allow the sale of genetically modified products?
- Should drugs be legalized in Mexico?
- Should recycling be legally required (in Canada)?
- Should sex work/prostitution be legalized?
- Should FIFA consider human rights when it chooses its host?
- Are professional athletes overpaid?
- Is the gender pay gap in professional sports unfair?
- Should WNBA players receive equal pay to NBA players?
- Should young people consider a career in e-sports?
- Are e-sports the next 'big thing'?
- Is being a high performance athlete a viable career?
Shopping & Consumption Topics
- Should automatic gratuity for large groups be prohibited?
- Does tipping in restaurants improve service?
- Is the customer always right?
- Should customers base purchasing decisions on online reviews?
- Should female hygiene products be free (or subsidized)?
- Are progressive taxes fair (to all income earners)?
- Should churches be exempt from tax?
- Should the Provincial Sales Tax (PST) be eliminated?
- Should there be an additional tax on unhealthy products?
- Should online sellers without physical stores have to pay tax in the companies they operate in?
- Should there be a digital service tax (DST) on social media companies?
- Will self-driving cars become a reality for consumers in the next decade?
- Should self-driving cars be legal?
- Should Amazon introduce drone delivery?
- Are cellphones unsafe for consumers? / Should government put tighter restrictions on cellphones for public safety?
- Should companies invest more in MIS (managerial information systems)?
- Should biodegradable straws be mandatory in F&B (Food & Beverages) businesses?
- Is a cashless economy possible?
- Can blockchain technologies replace centralized transactional systems?
- Is technology limiting the creativity of people?
- Does online shopping have addictive effects on consumers?
- Should Big Banks in Canada introduce 'tellerless' branches as people can do transactions in ATM (Automated Teller Machine)?
- Will 3D food change the food sector?
- Can electric cars replace traditional vehicles?
- Is Artificial Intelligence (AI) a threat to business?
- Should users be concerned about their privacy on social network platforms?
- Will the Metaverse be relevant five years from now?
- Should publishing companies shift to digital e-books?
- Should Canada implement measures to target 'house-flippers'?
- Should foreigners be allowed to purchase property in [Country]?
- Should government regulate the housing market?
- Is the empty-homes tax unfair?
Travel & Tourism
- Should airlines allow travelers to board planes with pets?
- Are travel agencies doomed to extinction?
- Does the AirBNB business model spell doom for the hotel industry?
Workplace Productivity Topics
- Should social media be banned in the workplace?
- Do smartphones have a positive effect on workplace productivity?
- Does peer pressure in the workplace benefit workers?
- Can employees be productive when working from home?
- Should employers allow napping in the workplace?
- Should employers limit smartphone use in the workplace / Do smartphones increase worker productivity?
- Do open-office plans increase productivity? / Should companies adopt open space plans?
- Should companies incorporate the practice of mindfulness in the workplace?
- Is a highly competitive environment beneficial for workers?
- Does art or workplace decor have a positive effect on productivity?
- Should 'quiet quitting' be normalized in the workplace?
-- Argumentative essay topics compiled by Matthew Barton, Creator of Englishcurrent.com (copyright) | Last updated: Jan 2023
Great list, thanks!