Download: You can download this worksheet here: how-far-how-long-exercises.docx
How to Make Questions with “How Far?” & “How Long?”
We use how far to talk about distance.
· How far is our classroom from the washroom? It’s about 30 metres.
We use how long to talk about the amount of time something takes.
· How long is the movie? It’s 2 hours.
Remember, when you make a question with a verb other than the be verb, you need to use an auxiliary verb (do/did, have/had, will, are/is, etc). For example:
· How far do you usually walk? I walk 5 kilometres. (Present Simple)
· How long did you wait? I waited 30 minutes. (Past Simple)
· How far will you drive? (Future Simple)
· How long have you been living in Canada? (Present Perfect Continuous)
Exercise A. Choose the correct question word – how long or how far.
1. is New York from Los Angeles?
New York is about 2,900 miles from Los Angeles.
2. does she usually spend in traffic?
She usually spends 2 hours in traffic.
3. is Melbourne from Paris?
Melbourne is 12,249 miles far from Paris.
4 did he play tennis?
He played tennis for 30 minutes.
5.do you usually stretch in the morning?
I usually stretch for 10 minutes.
6.is the bus stop?
The bus stop is 200 meters away.
1-How far, 2-How long, 3-How far, 4-How long, 5-How long, 6-How far
Exercise B. Make questions to match the answers.
1.A: ? B: I slept for six hours.
How long did you sleep?
2. A: ? B: I have been working at my company for two years.
How long have you been working at your company?
3. A:? B: I rode my bicycle for 5 miles.
How far did you ride your bicycle?
4. A: ? B: My house is 15 kilometres from my work.
How far is your house from your work?
5. A: ? B: Kate waited an hour for the bus.
How long did Kate wait for the bus?
6. A: ? B: The lessons are 20 minutes.
How long are the lessons?
7. A: ? B: I had to stand for 30 minutes.
How long did you have to stand?
How Long for Physical Length
Of course, we can also use How long to talk about the physical length of something, e.g. your hair or a river. How long is the Nile river? How long was the line? In these questions, we are asking about length. This is the regular meaning of the word long.
Questions? Comments? Find a Mistake?
I hope this has helped you understand the difference between how far and how long. If you have a question, please ask it in the comments section below.
– Created by Matthew Barton of Englishcurrent.com (Copyright)