Lesson Topics: milestones, personal growth, societal changes
Skill Focus: Speaking, Reading, Listening, Vocabulary
Approximate Class Time: 1.5 hours
Lesson Plan Download: life-milestones-intermediate-lesson-092023.docx
- As a warm-up activity, students plot major life milestones on a timeline. Next, they try to predict the content of the reading passage, which is based on an article by Mike Bundrant entitled "12 Most Important Milestones in Life to Grow Through." The reading passage covers six points from the article.
- After a read-and-recall activity, students answer comprehension questions, do a vocabulary-matching activity, and then create questions using the new vocabulary.
- The first speaking activity is a discussion of acts that would enable them to leave their comfort zone. Then there is one roleplay between a parent and an 18-year-old about joining the Peace Corps.
- After a charades activity, the lesson has a vocabulary review activity and a conversation activity using images.
- The lesson closes with final discussion questions and a review of collocations.
INTERMEDIATE (B1/B2) EFL Lesson Plan on The Milestones of Life
Warm-up: A milestone is an important event that brings a big change in someone’s life.
|Age 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100|
Task: Add milestones to the above line (or do it on paper). After, share your timeline with your class. Talk about the importance of each milestone and how you celebrate it.
Pre-reading Predictions: The below article is not about regular milestones like buying a car. Instead, it describes milestones that help a person grow and become a better person. What six milestones do you think might be in the article?
Membership is required to view this post. Please support EnglishCurrent by becoming a member today. Members, please log in.
-- Lesson plan on milestones written by Matthew Barton of EnglishCurrent.com (copyright). ChatGPT was used to generate some answer keys. Site members may photocopy and edit the file for their classes. Permission is not given to rebrand the lesson, redistribute it on another platform, or sell it as part of commercial course curriculum. For questions, contact the author.
Possible answers to follow-up questions:
- We also learn to spend wisely and to recognize what we value.
- It helps us grow by teaching us that we can overcome difficulties.
- We learn more about different people and think differently about our own lives.
Vocabulary Answers: 1-i, 2-a, 3-c, 4-b, 5-h, 6-g, 7-e, 8-f, 9-d
Vocabulary Extension Answers: a-to spread your wings, b-over the moon, c-to have butterflies…, d-a turning point, e-to get cold feet
Collocation Answers: 1-b, 2-j, 3-a, 4-d, 5-h, 6-c, 7-g, 8-f, 9-I, 10-e
 Original article here: https://www.lifehack.org/828777/milestones-in-life