ESL Level: Advanced (Upper-intermediate here)
Lesson Topic: The health and societal risks of social media use
Skill Focus: Speaking, Reading, Vocabulary
Lesson Plan Download: social-media-dilemma-upper-advanced-01103020.docx
Approximate Class Time: 3.5 hours
- Teachers, this lesson is longer and denser than usual. Pick the activities that you feel will work for your class. This lesson summarizes the key ideas of The Social Dilemma (Netflix, 2020). If possible, watching the documentary itself would be a great pre- or post-activity.
- Students, feel free to read the lesson, do the vocabulary exercises, and leave your answers to the questions in the comment area below.
ADVANCED Social Media ESL Lesson Plan: Warm-up (Pair Work)
- Which websites do you use the most? What do you like most about them?
- What social networking platforms do you use? Why do you use them?
- Do you make an effort to limit your screen time? Why or why not?
- What social movements do you know that have been popularized by social media?
Reading: The Social Dilemma Documentary
Membership is required to view this post. Please support EnglishCurrent by becoming a member today. Members, please log-in.