[Download Free Japan ESL News lesson plan here: Japanese_Forced_to_Leave_Homes_UppInt_03162011.doc]
Japanese ESL News Lesson Plan: Warm Up
1) What is a natural disaster? What are some kinds of natural disasters?
2) What are some examples of non-natural disasters?
3) Have there been any major disasters in your area?
4) What are some major disasters that you can remember?
Japanese Forced to Leave Homes (March 16, 2011)
[Based on original article: http://www.voanews.com/english/news/asia/east-pacific/Japans-Nuclear-Evacuees-Ponder-Their-Fate-118089349.html, Voice of America]
Japanese News Lesson Plan: Comprehension Questions
1) How many people have been made homeless?
2) Why have the people in the town of Okuma left their homes?
3) What problem(s) is Harumi Takahashi having?
4) What has Keishu Maeda changed his mind about? What is his opinion now?
5) How long do the people plan to stay in the gymnasium?
- One-half-million people (not including people who have homes but can't return to them)
- They were forced to leave because of radiation leaking from a nearby nuclear reactor.
- She is not receiving any information about the crisis. (And also, she has been forced to leave her home.)
- Japan's atomic energy plan. He no longer supports it because of the current crisis it has caused.
- They do not know.
Match the words with their meaning as used in the article.
move to a safer place
- evacuate - move to a safer place
- severe - extreme
- approximate - rough
- indefinite - undetermined
- radiation - harmful energy
- oppose - disagree
- crisis - catastrophe
- unfold - develop
- plenty - many, much
Japan News Lesson Plan: Master the language
- I often get severe headaches.
- The book was boring because its story unfolded very slowly.
- I hope I'll have plenty of time to travel after I retire.
- I had to evacuate my apartment because of the fire.
- Workers at the power plant wear special protection against radiation.
- I have approximately 10 dollars in my bank account.
- I will continue to live abroad (indefinitely/ for an indefinite amount of time).
- ... because of the current economic crisis.
- I oppose the testing of medicine on animals. / I am opposed to the testing of ...
Japan News ESL Lesson Plan: Discussion Questions
News lesson plan copyright Matthew Barton of Englishcurrent.com