The International Greetings (Hello) Song
Listen or Download Song: International Hello Song (Flag) (MP3)
Song Lyrics: "Hello. Bonjour. Ni Hao. Jambo. Guten Tag. Buenos dias. Annoyong hasipnikka. Sawas dee. Namasutee. Konnichiwa."
Description: I have used this international hello song with grade 3, 4, & 5 Japanese elementary school students. I am not sure of its origin; I received it from a company that employed me as an ALT. It's a fast and fun song that your students will enjoy. It's useful for studying international greetings and national flags.
Suggestion: This is how I have taught the hello song:
- Brainstorm with your students about how you say 'Hello' in different languages. See how many words you can think of as a group.
- Listen to the song.
- Do the worksheet (below). Have students write the national greeting under the correct flag.
- Listen again once or twice and sing together.
- As a class, have the students develop a dance for the song by making a gesture to match each greeting. For example, for 'Hello,' students could wave their hands, for 'Konnichiwa' they can do a deep bow, etc. I have done this twice, and the students have enjoyed it.
- Play the song again and dance along!
Hello Song Lyrics & Worksheet
Worksheet Download: Hello-flag-song-ESL.doc
Enjoy the international hello song!
Note: I created the above worksheet but not the song. If you are the copyright holder of the song and you'd like it taken down, please contact me.
– Matthew Barton / EnglishCurrent.com