|Download the Ultimate Tips for Men Lesson Plan (ESL) here: Advice-for-Men-UppIntermediate-23042014.doc|
Ultimate Tips for Men Lesson Plan (ESL): Upper-Intermediate
Ultimate Tips for Men Lesson Plan (ESL): Warm-Up
- What’s the best way for a man to get a girlfriend? What kind of men do women like?
- What does it mean when someone says “be a man?”
- What advice has your father passed on to you?
Reading: Forty-five Ultimate Tips for Men
Below is list of advice for men. This list circulates social media occasionally, and its author is unknown. The list contains plenty food for thought. Read the first #1-7 to yourself. Select one or two that you agree or disagree with. Discuss them with your partner(s). When finished, continue to the next group (#8-#14).
1. Go for women you perceive to be "out of your league." You'll surprise yourself.
2. Never have sex with anyone that doesn't want it as much as you.
3. Never hit anyone unless they are an immediate threat.
4. Every hat should serve a purpose.
5. Never take her to the movies on the first date.
6. Learn to wet shave.
7. Nothing looks more badass than a well-tailored suit.
8. Shave with the grain on the first go-around.
9. Always look a person in the eye when you talk to them.
10. Buy a plunger before you need a plunger.
11. Exercise makes you happy. Run, lift, and play sports.
12. Brush your teeth before you put on a tie.
13. A small amount of your paycheck should go directly to your savings account every month.
14. Call you parents every week.
15. Never wear a clip-on tie.
16. Give a firm handshake.
17. Compliment her shoes.
18. Never leave a pint unfinished.
19. If you aren't confident, fake it. It will come.
20. You can tell the size of a man by the size of things that bother him.
21. Be conscious of your body language.
22. The only reason to ever point a gun at someone is if you intend to shoot them.
23. Always stand to shake someone's hand.
24. Never lend anything you can't afford to lose.
25. Ask more than you answer. Everybody likes to talk about themselves.
26. Keep a change of clothes at the office.
27. Buy high quality tools, so you only have to buy them once.
28. Manliness is not only being able to take care of yourself, but others as well.
29. Go with the decision that will make for a good story.
30. When you walk, look straight ahead, not at your feet.
31. Nice guys don't finish last. Boring guys do.
32. Find your passion and figure out how to get paid for it.
33. Don't let the little head do the thinking for the big head.
34. No matter their job or status in life, everyone deserves your respect.
35. The most important thing you can learn is personal responsibility. Bad things happen, it's your job to overcome them.
36. The first one to get angry loses.
37. Do what needs to be done without complaining. It won't help speed things up.
38. Never stop learning.
39. Always go out into public dressed like you're about to meet the love of your life. 40. Don't change yourself just to make someone happy, unless that someone is you.
41. If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.
42. Luck favors the prepared.
43. Women find confidence sexy as hell.
44. Do whatever you want to do in the life, but be the best at it.
45. No one is on their deathbed wishing they spent more time at work. Enjoy your life.
Ultimate Tips for Men Lesson Plan (ESL): Vocabulary Matching
|food for thought (idiom)|
|out of your league (idiom)|
|badass (adj) (slang)|
- circulate – pass from place to place or person to person
- food for thought – something worthy of consideration
- out of your league – too good for you
- threat – danger; risk
- badass – cool; though; intimidating
- plunger – a tool with a rubber cup at the end used to clear blocked pipes
- pint – 16 ounoces (473 ml) or beer
- deathbed – the bed in which someone is dying
Vocabulary Homework: Circle the words that were new for you. Add them to your vocabulary notebook and make sentences for homework.
Ultimate Tips for Men Lesson Plan (ESL): Ultimate Tips (Group Work)
You have just read “45 Ultimate Tips for Men.” In small groups, please prepare your own “Ultimate Tips” list. You can write ultimate tips for women, students of English, travelers, etc. Spend a minute thinking of a topic, and then begin making your list. When finished, present your list to the class.
Ultimate Tips for Men Lesson Plan (ESL): Role-playing
1) What are some common expressions used in English for giving advice? Write a list of expressions on the board.
2) Imagine that you are a teenager. On a piece of paper, write down a list of problems teenagers may have in life.
3) When finished, find a partner. One of you will be the wise adult, and the other will be their teenage son or daughter. The teenager should tell his/her parent about his problem and get advice. Try to use different expressions for giving advice each time. When finished, switch roles and do again.
Ultimate Tips for Men Lesson Plan (ESL): Discussion Questions
1) The list you read was likely designed for men in North America. How would the list be different if someone from your country had written it?
2) Is it better to follow advice or to learn by being yourself?
Ultimate Tips for Men Lesson Plan (ESL) copyright Matthew Barton of Englishcurrent.com